3rd Saturday at 6:00 PM
Charter Date
Plaridel Masonic Temple

Manuel A. Roxas Lodge No. 152

The Name

This lodge was named in honor of Manuel A. Roxas, President of the Philippines from 1946-1949. Roxas was a member of Makawiwili Lodge No. 55, which he served as Master in 1927. He was also a 32° Scottish Rite Mason.

The Lodge

This lodge traces its beginning to an acquaintance party attended by thirty-two brother Masons at the Aristocrat Restaurant on Dewey Boulevard, Manila on May 31, 1957. They were all employed in the Bureau of Internal Revenue and were invited by Pablo Aluquin, then of the City Revenue Examiner's Office, who wanted them to know each other better. During the party, Bro. Jose Aranas, the BIR Commissioner, broached the idea of forming an organization among the brethren in the BIR. Since they all realized that it would take time before they could form a Masonic lodge, those present settled on the formation of the Manila Square and Compass Club. At that time there were a total of 60 Masons belonging to 27 lodges who were working in the BIR.

After a few months, the brethren prepared a petition for the issuance of a dispensation that would allow them to organize a lodge in Manila to be named Manuel Roxas Lodge. Grand Master Vicente Y. Orosa forthwith issued the requested dispensation. The members, however, realized that they acted too hastily. They encountered difficulties in complying with the requirements of the Grand Lodge, so they did not file a petition for the issuance of a charter during the annual communication held in April 1958. After one year they were ready. At the annual communication held in 1959, specifically on April 29, 1959, the Committee on Charters reported to the Grand Lodge that Manuel Roxas Lodge was operating in strict conformity with the Constitution, Rules and Regulations of the Grand Lodge. The Committee also found that the lodge kept its records in an orderly manner and was financially sound and stable. On the recommendation of the Committee the Grand Lodge granted the lodge a charter. Two months later, on June 22, 1959, Grand Master Macario M. Ofilada, assisted by RW Juan S. Alano, RW William H. Quasha and other officers of the Grand Lodge opened a Special Communication of the Grand Lodge at the Plaridel Masonic Temple on San Marcelino Street and constituted Manuel Roxas Lodge No. 152. After the constitution of the new lodge, the Grand Master installed its officers. Among the speakers during the installation program were Marcelo C. Santiago, Master of the lodge, BIR Commissioner Jose Aranas, and Congressman Gerardo Roxas, son of Wor. Bro. Manuel  Roxas.

This lodge prospered for a while, but in the 1970's it went downhill. In 1973 Grand Master William C. Councell sadly reported to the Grand Lodge that he had to suspend the charter of the lodge because of its inability to pay its Fees and Dues to the Grand Lodge and for its failure to keep proper records. A Committee chaired by the Senior Grand Warden was appointed by the Grand Master to make a proper and thorough investigation. Stung by the action of the Grand Master, the members pooled their resources together, braced up, and settled all their obligations to the Grand Lodge. The charter of the lodge was forthwith restored and since that time Manuel Roxas Lodge No. 152 has had a steady, quiet and fruitful life. It is now safely in the hands of Masonic stalwarts like Gilbert Pazcoguin, Rodel A. Abarquez, Jerome T. Lali, Stephen Ong, Cesar Tan, Ernesto Torres, and Roy Ong.

Location: Plaridel Masonic Temple, Manila