Baguio Lodge No. 67
This lodge was named after the City where it is established. It is said that the city, in turn, got its name from the native word "bigyiw," meaning "moss" a green plant which the first Igorots found around what is now known as Burnham Lake. Baguio is also the native word for typhoon or hurricane.
Baguio Lodge traces its origin to the formation of a Square and Compass Club Baguio in 1920 by a group of American and Filipino Masons. In the same year they agreed to transform their Club into a lodge and accordingly sent a petition to the Grand Lodge for a dispensation authorizing them to form a lodge. The requested dispensation was issued on December 20, 1920 and on January 25 of the following year, the lodge was given a charter as Baguio Lodge No. 67.
On March 8, 1921, Grand Master Edwin E. Elser and a team of Masonic dignitaries which included Pedro Abad Santos and Edwin Driggs constituted Baguio Lodge No. 67 and installed its officers at the Social Hall of the Teachers' Camp before an audience of about 300. After the ceremonies Grand Master Elser and the Worshipful Master of the lodge, Samuel McIntosh, delivered speeches. Among those installed into office were J. Smith, G. Bowers, Saturnino David, and Mauricio J. Oteyza. The meetings of the lodge were held in various places such as the Teacher' Camp; PMA Hall at Camp Allen; B. P. Hall; Executive Bldg, Government Center; District Bldg. at Engineers' Hill; and Whilmarsh Bldg. The members were able to construct a Temple before the Second World War on a lot near Palma St. but it was destroyed during the liberation of Baguio in 1945.
After being in darkness for over three years because of the war, Baguio Lodge was reorganized on October 20, 1945 with the election of Primo San Pedro as Acting Master, Jose Mandorias as Senior Warden and Juan F. Zarate as Junior Warden.
In 1958, the members constructed a Temple at Legarda Road, but on July 16, 1990 a killer earthquake struck Baguio City causing severe structural damage to the building which rendered it uninhabitable.
A fund raising campaign was launched for the repair of the Temple. On August 6, 1991 the repaired Temple was inauspiciously inaugurated and the brethren transferred their stated meetings thereto. The trauma of the disaster fast disappeared into thin air. Baguio Lodge once more kept its flame burning.
Baguio Lodge is the proud sponsor of Baguio Chapter of the DeMolay and Bethel No. 25, International Order of Job’s Daughters, Baguio Chapter. It has also hosted one Annual Communication of the Grand Lodge of the Philippines.
Location: Baguio City