Camiguin Island Lodge No. 296
This lodge is named after the island where it is located. The name Camiguin is derived from the native word "Kamagong," a tree of the Ebony family that thrives near Lake Mainit in the Province of Surigao del Norte. The original inhabitants of Camiguin were "Manobos" who migrated from Surigao. The old native language in Camiguin is called "Kinamiguin," which is similar to the dialect spoken in Surigao. Camiguin was part of the province of Misamis Oriental from 1946 to 1958. It became a sub-province in 1958 and finally in 1968, a full-fledged province with Mambusao as its capital.
The dream of establishing Camiguin Island Lodge No. 296 started decades before it was actually born. Conceived by brethren who wanted to have a lodge in that tourist attraction, with hot and cold springs and white sand beaches and an abundance of honey and lanzones, its formation was finally realized through the initiative and sponsorship of Maguindanao Lodge No. 40, the mother of all
lodges in Mindanao, and the untiring efforts of VW Benjamin O. Go, VW Kim C. Tulio, VW Greg Malicay and other brethren. Noteworthy also is the considerable assistance extended to the lodge by Governor and Brother Pedro R. Romualdo and Bro. Antonio P. Ranara.
On July 4, 1991, Grand Master Jose Reyes Guerrero gave a dispensation to organize the lodge to 34 Master Masons in good standing coming from eight lodges and on August 13, 1991 he instituted the lodge and installed its officers led by Atty. Rexel M. Pacuribut, then an officer of the Public Attorney's Office.
During the annual communication of the Grand Lodge held in April 1992, the Committee on Charters recommended that the lodge be given a charter and assigned number 296. The Committee found that the lodge was in sound
financial condition, had complete paraphernalia and was able to initiate thirteen candidates, pass nine of them and raise six to the 3rd degree.
On July 4, 1992 Camiguin Island lodge No.296 was formally constituted as a regular lodge by the new Grand Master, MW Agustin V. Mateo
The stated meetings of the lodge were held in various places because of the strong opposition of the dominant church. Meetings were first held at the DILG Building, then at the Mambajao Central School, then the Camiguin Polytechnic State College campus until it was finally able to construct a Masonic Temple at Lumad, Poblacion in Mambajao. Under the able leadership of WB Rexel M. Pacuribut, a lot owned by Mr. Democrito Sagrado was donated to the lodge.
On November 12, 1993 the cornerstone of the proposed Temple was laid and during the leadership of WB Ruperto I. Guangco, Jr. the Temple was constructed. Subsequent leaders added improvements, like Bro. Sonny Dychauco who sourced the construction materials.
The lodge has undertaken several activities. It hosted the Mindanao Tri- District Convention that was graced by the presence of MW Rizal D. Aportadera and Senator Rodolfo Biazon who was the Guest Speaker. It also conducted a Sunshine Medical Mission and coordinated the distribution of relief goods to victims of Typhoon Nanang.
Location: Mambajao, Camiguin.